Friday, October 24, 2008

Death and Anniversaries

One of my co-workers took her own life.

We were told this morning and then we all had to figure out how to get through the day knowing that she wasn't coming back on Monday.

It makes me very sad and frustrated. It is such a terrible loss to her family and friends. I would not count myself one of her friends, but I was certainly a fan and not just because she loved my baking skills.

It is especially poignant given that yesterday marked the 10-year anniversary of my own suicide attempt.

10 years ago, on October 23rd, 1998, I tried to commit suicide. I don't know if I really wanted to die, I know that I just wanted the pain to stop.

Since then, I have worked every day to be a different person then the person in the ER that day. I think I have done a pretty good job at accomplishing that goal too.

Ten years ago, I was working in theatre, but still half-closeted. I was severely depressed and could not imagine a way out. I was struggling in practically every area of my life.

Today, I am a lawyer. I have a great job that I love going to every day. I am married, and most days, when I am not worrying over losing a fundamental civil right, I am happy.

Sometimes, I can't believe this is my life. A life I created through blood, sweat and often miserable toil, but I have it.

No comments: